A personal blog on the battle of the buldge!

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Trivia Tuesday



Today is grocery shopping day, which I absolutely love!! I love having all the fresh fruits and veggies in my fridge! All the healthy choices! I found this little bit of trivia that I thought was interesting and helpful when you are shopping for veggies. Here is my list of "super foods" !

Broccoli -- 2 spears -- contains Vitamins C, A, Beta Carotene and Fiber

Carrots -- 2 medium -- contains enough Beta Carotene to reduce risk of strokes in 1/2 of men who already have symptoms of heart diesease.

Chili Peppers -- 1 or more -- contain Casaicin a antioxidan that prevents strokes, lowers cholesterol and may stimulate a release of endorphins for a "natural high"

Spinach -- 1 cup uncooked -- contains Vitamins A and C, folic acid and magnesium. Helps to control cancer, reduces heart disease and risk of strokes, also may help prevent osteoporosis

Mushrooms --1/2 cup -- contains Beta-glucan that helps stimulate the immune system.

Tomatoes -- 1 medium -- contains lycopenes an antioxidant more potent then Vitamin C and helps stimulate the function of the immune system.

These are a few of the veggies that I like to have in my fridge all the time!

Step count for yesterday was pretty good, not as good as Kellie's (she did awesome BTW) -- mine was 7929. I just found out today that my brothers wife is going to be induced on Friday so by Saturday I should be an auntie (again -- 2nd time) !! They already know it is a girl so there is no surprise there but I am still anxious to see the baby! It will be my first niece (blood related) I can hardly wait!

6 comments:

Elaniom said...

YAY!! AUNTIE LEANNE!! I became an aunt for the 9th time in November and, trust me, the feeling NEVER gets old!!

Great job on your steps! The gap appears to be closing some!! I may have to Tonya Harding your tail before too long!! ;)

Annieann77 said...

LOL -- My nephew right now calls me Auntie Neenan .... it's pretty cute and all of my inlaws nick named me Annie cause they figured that's what he would call me! Hense my allias Annieann! It's just too hard for kids to say my name! he he

Jordanna said...

yahoooooooo....I hope i don't become an auntie soon lol that would be disasterous.

Try being a Jordanna - little kids through out the land call me blanna hee hee hee

Jordanna said...

oh ya and BOOOOO down with mushrooms!!

Unknown said...

Just remember that the lycopene in tomato is only absobable in the body in the presense of dietary fat. So if you want - for example - tomato on your salad, there better be some fat in there, too - either in the dressing or throw on some avacado.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.