A personal blog on the battle of the buldge!

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Tuesday trivia



I'm awfully stiff and sore today, not too sure why? I didn't do anything extra yesterday just the usual 30min walk and Pilate's? Maybe it's old age? LOL I got my shipment yesterday and yes my 60lb bear was present and accounted for! he he There are a few things in my order that are new and I'm excited to try. Like the cherry vanilla pudding and I noticed that they have changed the packaging on the vegetarian chili? It is now in one of the little microwave bowls and not in the tray, more like the chili with beans?! Well today is grocery day and I get to go by myself cause the hubby got his shipment of metal tubing for his car and he is excited to get started on that. I'm totally fine with going by myself, in fact I think I like it better, I don't feel so rushed and I can take my time and try and find new healthy foods! As long as he helps unload the car when I get home it's all good! ;)
I found this on the WW website and thought it was good info and I'd like to share.
Q: I don't know how to store fresh veggies in the fridge. Do I take them out of their plastic bags? Is there anything special I should do before putting them in the fridge? How long can I expect them to last?

A: Although the best storage methods for fresh vegetables can vary within each vegetable category (green onions differ from Spanish onions, for example), here's a list with some basic guidelines. A few overall points to keep in mind first, though:

**Refrigeration can damage some vegetables (such as potatoes), yielding an off-flavour or mushy texture. -- I always put my potatoes in the fridge ??
**Keep vegetables that are not stored in the refrigerator (such as potatoes and onions) away from heat sources and out of sunlight.
**Some vegetables (like tomatoes and eggplants) can be left on the counter to ripen and then refrigerated to extend their lifespan.
**When storing veggies in plastic bags, make sure to poke some holes in the bag to allow for proper air circulation. Or buy perforated plastic vegetable bags.
**Keep vegetables and fruits in separate produce drawers because some fruits, such as apples and pears, produce a substance called ethylene that hastens ripening of other produce. --I've heard this before and try to keep my apples separate but my fridge is only so big!
**Do not store potatoes and onions together because they each give off gases that can cause the rapid decay of the other. --Who knew!? Not me! LOL
**Although some vegetables can last for long periods of time when properly stored, try to use them sooner, rather than later, for optimal flavour and nutrient value.
**Add crispness back to limp veggies like celery and asparagus by placing them stem-side down in a small amount of water; refrigerate until crisp.
**Last but not least, do not wash vegetables until you're ready to eat them! -- I always wash my veggies as soon as I get home so that they are prepared and ready to eat whenever I want! I guess they stay fresher if you don't do that ?

I found that the WW website is quite helpful and usually has tons of tips. If you are curious you should check it out, WW Website. Hopefully soon I will be able to get my new fridge, bottom freezer, then this way all my veggies will be at eye level and the first thing I see when I open the door!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I try to wash veggies as soon as I get them home, too! No time today. Maybe tomorrow morning since the construction crews are waking me up long before my alarm! Grr.