A personal blog on the battle of the buldge!

Friday, December 08, 2006

Friday Fun Facts!


Sweet Potatoes:
When I was younger my family would have sweet potatoes once a year and only once a year, at Christmas. I was quite thankful of this as a child, they weren't really on my top 10 list of things to eat at Christmas especially with all the other yummy choices! However now that I am older and I am starting to appreciate foods that I never cared for as a kid, I actually really like sweet potatoes and they are a healthier choice for you then a regular potatoe. Here are the stats:

Nutrition Facts
Serving size ½ cup (100g) Cooked sweet potatoes
Amount Per Serving & % Daily Value*
Calories 100
Fat Cal 0
Total Fat 0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 10mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 24g 8%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Protein 2g 4%
Vitamin A 440%
Vitamin C 41%
Calcium 3%
Iron 2%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Food & Nutrition Service, USDA


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 100 g
Potatoes, baked, skin, without salt (100g)
Amount Per Serving

Calories 198
Calories From Fat 1
Fat 0.1 g
Protein 4.29 g
Carbohydrate 46.07g
Saturated Fat 0.026 g
Total Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
Potassium, K 573 mg
Sodium, Na 21 mg
Vitamin B-6 0.614 mg
Vitamin C, ascorbic acid 13.5 mg

Here's the facts:
---When selecting fresh sweet potatoes, choose those that are smooth, plump, dry and clean.
---Sweet potatoes should not be refrigerated unless cooked. Store between 55 and 65 degrees F.
---Sweet potatoes should be peeled deep enough to remove the hard layer beneath the skin; they will turn dark on the outside when cooked if not peeled deep enough.
---Use them in soups, casseroles, puddings, baked goods, or as a substitute for white potatoes in your favorite recipes. They make a nice addition to stir-fries; cut them into thin sticks so that they will cook quickly.

Just a side note....I'm thinking about doing Payperpost adds, I'm a little unsure just cause I'm not so good at this blog thing yet. But they pay you for talking about their stuff and I like that idea! So if you notice some posts in the future that have PPP - that would be a Pay Per Post. So I'm just waiting for them to approve me and I will start making some extra money!


1 comment:

Elaniom said...

I love sweet potatoes!! Its one of may faves to have with my NS dinner!!