A personal blog on the battle of the buldge!

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Rain, rain go away ...

This is what the drive to work looked like today, very foggy! And very humid, it is suppose to rain for the next couple of days. In a way it is nice because the rain will help clean up all the gravel and dirt left over from the winter, make the grass grow and turn a nice shade of green but it also sucks cause it isn't nice to walk in the rain. I haven't taken the dog for her walk for two days now! She is going nuts in the house and needs to get out, I promised her that no matter what I will take her for a walk today!! Maybe I can find an umbrella like the one in this pic so that she doesn't get as wet when it's raining!? LOL



Tomorrow is suppose to be the first Street Legal race of the season but I doubt we will be racing. I still have to get in the trailer and clean it out and I still need to take our sleeping bags to the dry cleaners! That is the plan for Saturday, I have to work (at my full time job) so I will have time in the afternoon to take on the trailer and run to the dry cleaners. I think it will be a challenge for me to make sure I still eat healthy on the weekends I'm working at the track, on Fridays I will have to bring my supper with me to work and eat it on the way to the track so I will have to find something that is not only easy to eat on the go but is simple enough that I don't have to eat hot!? I may have to switch my dinners and lunches around and I will have to make sure that I pack my meals for the rest of the weekend on Thursday. I think it will be a lot more work this year then previous years but eventually I will get into the habit and just know what to take. I'm trying to convince the hubby that we should bring a microwave out to the track with us just cause it will be easier to cook veggies and lunches in a hurry. He says we don't really have a power supply out there big enough to power a microwave but then I reminded him about our generator!! It's big enough to power a little ole' microwave! he he The good thing about it is that we only live about 20min from the track so worst case scenario I can always run home if I forget something.





When I was grocery shopping on Tuesday they had Mango's on sale for a buck! I have had mango's before but they are already cut and prepared (like in a can), so I was a little unsure on how to pick a good mango but I figured for a buck I couldn't go wrong. Now I'm a little unsure on how to eat it!? Does it peel like a orange or is it like a melon that you scoop out the guts!? I thought I would Google it and share the info with you, in case you were also curious!?


--Never buy completely green mangoes, as they may never ripen. Under ripe mangoes can have an unpleasant chemical taste if eaten raw. When buying, no fragrant aroma most likely means no flavor.

--There is no trick to getting the flesh off a mango easily - it can be very messy. Peel and then cut the flesh off around the pit as best you can. The pit is flat, so try to cut the flesh off along the flat side of the pit. Then just nibble the rest off the pit. Its messy, but absolutely delicious.OR - Get a MANGO SPLITTER

--SELECTION - Choose firm plump mango's that give slightly when pressure is applied. Avoid those with bruised or dry and shriveled skin. The ripeness of mango's can be determined by either smelling or squeezing. A ripe mango will have a full, fruity aroma emitting from the stem end. Mango's can be considered ready to eat when slightly soft to the touch and yield to gentle pressure. The best-flavored fruit have a yellow tinge when ripe; however, color may be red, yellow, orange, green, or any combination.

--Never burn mango leaves or branches, the toxic fumes can cause serious irritation to the eyes and lungs.

--Be very careful of the stem end of mango's if any part of the branch or leaf is attached, as the sap can cause allergic reactions.

3 comments:

VegasGirl said...

hehe. I've never tried a mango before. How did the mango adventure go?

It has been rainy here too. Our windows were open, so the inside of the house feels wet too. bleh!

Chris H said...

Sounds like mangos are too much trouble for me! Actually, I have tried them and don't like them, so this is good!

Denise Potter said...

I don't mind the rain to much, but it does make the walking thing suck!

I may have to try a mango now, I've had them but it was frozen peices and I didn't find them very sweet. Maybe they are better fresh?

Let me know how your mango adventure goes.