A personal blog on the battle of the buldge!

Monday, July 09, 2007

weekend review

So I am now wondering "WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING &*#^@!?" -- the weekend was a complete disaster, well maybe not a disaster but I am definitely feeling the effects of it today! I ended up getting off work early on Thursday and was quite excited to get out to the track and get started, so I went home, ate dinner, grabbed the dog and headed to the track. Well when I got out there my hubby was busy parking trailers (something he wasn't suppose to be doing) and I just walked around looking at all the cars (the first and only time I was able to walk around the pits). The original plan was that I was suppose to be the person that goes around, fills in for breaks, hands out bag lunches, water and do what ever else needs to be done. I just didn't want to be stuck doing the same position for the entire weekend (16 hours/ day). Boy was I fooled!



The track manager recommended that Friday morning I just go up to the tower and work till noon, then hand out bag lunches and start filling in for breaks. I thought this was a perfect idea cause then I get to do a little bit of tower work but not all day. Well when I got in the tower they inform me that if I choose to start doing tower now (Friday morning), I will be doing it all day and everyday! No switching off, no breaks, no changing - I will be stuck there for 16 hours everyday! So I suppose the good news is that they kinda gave me the option to do it or not, but if I choose not to do the tower then that meant that one of their people had to do it and I thought that it was probably better for me to do it!? So I did agree and commit myself to the entire weekend of sitting in the tower, so it's partially my own fault but I still feel as if they tricked me. I was especially ticked off when the track manager came up to me, after I had agreed to commit myself to the tower all weekend, and snickered as she passed me so I asked what was so funny and she said - "oh, you thought you could just come out here and slack off, do nothing and putz around all day. But not anymore, now you have to work." Then the other tower lady that was suppose to switch off with me says "yeah, I get to slack off now" !! I was shocked :o I felt like it was their plan the whole time, tell me that I can do the job I want and then trick me so that I get stuck doing the job that no one wants. I have to say that I didn't agree to commit myself to the tower job for them, it was definitely for the racers! And I'm hoping that I did a good enough job that everyone was happy, but next year ...... is a completely different story! I will definitely NOT be taking time off my real job to go out there and get abused! I had a radio in the tower that had this head piece you wear around you ears (it had arms like a pair of glasses you hook around you ears) anyway my ears are so sore today, I swear I have blisters behind them! Every time I answer the phone it hurts!



For the most part the weekend went fairly good, no big incidences, Friday was

the best day for staying on schedule. Saturday was a little worse, with cars breaking and having to do clean up it delayed the program a little but not as bad as last night. Last night was horrible, not only did we have cars breaking - which makes for a delay too clean it up, but it rained and it rained ALOT! We had a 2 hour delay because of the rain -- good news is that we were able to finish off the "fast/ show" cars before the rain but the bad news is that the program had to be finished! So at 10:30pm we were ready to race again! We didn't finish last night till 1:00am and after I packed up the trailer and drove home it was 2:00 in the morning!!! :O I think I was the only one that did not book today off, so after 4 1/2 hours of sleep I am at work and boy am I ever tired!!!



So I don't think they can plan on having me back there to work a National event ever again! I didn't even have enough time to run back to the trailer and warm up hot dogs, I had to eat them raw/ cold!!! We brought burgers out with us for dinner but never had time to cook them so Fat Free hot dogs was my lunch AND dinner!! I'm so sick of hot dogs and don't think I'll ever eat another raw/ cold wiener EVER! :P I didn't get to drink half the water I should have because I was worried I would take too many pee breaks. I feel hung over today maybe it's the lack of sleep or maybe I'm dehydrated, what ever it is I feel like crap! :( Early to bed tonight!

2 comments:

Denise Potter said...

Those ppl don't sound very nice. When I read it, it sounded like they where saying your always doing the slack off jobs? And that this weekend they made you not slack off? I don't know maybe one had to be there to hear the tone of voices.

Anyway, get some sleep tonight lady. I can't function on less then 6 hours so hero cookie for you for not calling in sick this morning.

I have Thurs off so are you 2 free for 2 and 1/2 vistors?

Chris H said...

That sucks actually! Why did you agree to do that job if it's such a suck job!!! Oh well, I suppose it's done now.. I just hope you do enjoy it and try to work out your food better for next time, cold hot dogs sounds yuk big time!